EFFECT GRID GUIDE
1. Credits button: Click the EG logo to find who the creators are and your current version.
2. Dry/Wet: This works just as you know.
3. Dynamics transition modes: 2 preset modes and a custom so you can adjust the dynamics transition between bands.
4. Clear buttons: Use this to clear any active Mute, Solo and Bypass.
5. Settings: In this menu you'll find options to scan, customize or deactivate the plugin, as well as some other information.
6. Input meter: RMS meter that indicates the input signal pre-fader.
7. Output meter: RMS meter that indicates the output signal post-fader and after dry/wet mix.
8. Input gain control: Fader for input signal before dry/wet split.
9. Output gain control: Fader for output signal post-fader and after dry/wet mix.
10. Cutoff frequency crossover labels: Displays the current cutoff frequency selected on the slider, click for manual input.
11. Threshold crossover labels: Displays the current threshold level selected on the slider, click for manual input.
12. Threshold controls: Use this slider to adjust or automate the threshold level of the bands.
13. Cutoff frequency controls: Use this slider to adjust or automate the cutoff frequency of the bands.
*9 total, one for each band.
14. Band gain control: Adjust the level of the band from -24 to +24 dB.
15. Mute/Solo buttons: Use this to better listen to your mix, remember these are automatable.
16. Plugin slot: 27 plugin slots total, 3 on each band. Insert your plugins to start designing each band independently. Click to insert plugin or right click to access a set of options detailed below.
17. Band gain label: Displays the current gain set by the slider, click for manual input.
2. Getting started
How the bands work
The incoming signal is split into 3 frequency bands then into 3 amplitude bands to end with 9 different bands that represent a specific part of the sound spectrum. To better understand, see image below:
Each band has its own:
- Gain control. Double click to reset.
- Mute / Solo buttons
- 3 plugin slots. The third plugin slot can be used either as an insert or be assigned to one of 9 buses available for multi-output*.
- Meter that will display if there's signal currently passing through that band.
*Multi-out is subject to DAW compatibility. Known not supported: Logic Pro X
Adjusting the Bands
Use the two value sliders to adjust the cutoff frequency or threshold level of the bands. Double click to reset.
The dynamics transition can be adjusted to respond to different types of transients. Use the two presets, fast or slow, to select between a response for very transient heavy sounds like a drum loop or slow for a sustained, melodic sound.
Use the custom mode to adjust the attack and release of the transition. Faster attack will respond better to a big transient.
The dry wet slider will switch between the signal unprocessed post-input fader, and the mix between the unprocessed and processed signal post-output fader.
M S B - Clear
These buttons will clear any active Mute, solo or Bypass to quickly listen to your whole mix.
These meters do not have any audio scale accuracy, their purpose is only to give feedback of signal passing through or not.
They display the signal after the inserted plugins and they will react to any active Mute, Solo or Bypass. *An option to disable them will be implemented on future updates.
Before inserting any plugin you will need to scan them through the settings menu.
Select the format you want to scan and this will open on the background a standalone app called "EffectGridPluginScanner" that will scan for any plugin on the common search paths for the selected format.
AU: Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
VST3: Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3
VST: Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST
VST3: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
VST: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST
For specific search paths you can use the Plug-in Manager as well to see the list of scanned or crashed plugins, delete or rescan for new plugins.
Click on any plugin slot to select an insert from the list of scanned plugins. Remember the third slot of each band can also be assigned to one of 9 buses for multi-out.
Drag and Drop
Effect Grid has a handy feature for copying, swapping and moving your plugins between slots.
Simply click and drag the plugin to the slot where you want to place it. Hold ctrl to replace if there is an active plugin.
When you drag and drop over an existent plugin, this will swap them.
Drag and drop holding alt.
Plugin options menu
Right click any active plugin to access different options:
1. Link Parameter: Select a parameter from the list to automate, more details below.
2. Bypass: This will bypass the selected plugin. Shortcut: Shift + click on plugin.
3. Copy-paste: This works just as the duplicate option on drag and drop.
4. Remove: Use this to delete the selected plugin.
5. Replace: Open a new instance of a plugin.
6. Close all windows: Closes any active window.
4. Custom parameters
Access the link parameter window by right click a plugin, select Link Parameter and then one from the list of the available automatable parameters of your plugin.
This window has 2 options:
1. Parameter: Select from the drop down menu the parameter you want to link to.
2. Inverted: Use this to assign the min value of the plugin parameter to the max side.
A few notes to keep in mind:
- Linking to a new parameter will unlink the existent one.
- You can link multiple plugins parameters to the same Custom.
- The parameters go from 0.000 to 1.000 which means there is 0.999 steps between the min and the max value. This is to have a standard that fits all parameters of all plugins. *An option to map the parameter to a specific range of the Custom will be implemented on future updates.
To assign a band to a Bus, click or right click the third plugin slot of any band and hover Select output, then select a Bus or the main Output from the list.
- You can assign more than one band to the same Bus.
- Assigning to the main Output will allow you to insert a plugin again.
This is how the slot will look when assigned to a Bus:
As shown before, here you can quick access options to scan plugin formats and the Plug-in Manager to access more plugin options.
Also you can customize the look of your plugin through the Theme options:
- Select theme. Dark / Light, Nord Dark / Nord Light & B&W Dark / B&W Light.
- Widget colour.
- Restore window to its original size.
The Check for updates option lets you set this feature to never remind you or to automatically check every time you open a new instance (default).
Help will take you to this guide.
We thank all the users who helped us from the beginning to test and we dedicate a page on the website to them, Special thanks will take you there.
Deactivate. Use this to log out of your current system. This will let you log in on a new computer regardless of its OS. If you plan to format your computer, you must first deactivate your license.
Here you'll find useful answers to frequent issues and known bugs, some internal and others external.
How to uninstall?
Windows: Use the Add or Remove apps option on the Control Panel or use the uninstaller located in: C:\Program Files\EffectGrid
macOS: Remove the files or folders on the following locations:
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/EffectGrid.aaxplugin
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/EffectGrid
I can't see any parameters on Ableton Live
There is a known bug from Ableton Live where plugins with a big list of parameters won't show them. A turn around is to move the parameter you want to automate and this will display it on the track so then you can automate.
If you're using a Custom parameters, first link and then interact with the parameter through the linked plugin.
It asks me to login every new instance
This usually happens when activating a full license after a trial. Please login, go to settings -> Deactivate, and login again.
I can't unlock the plugin
Remember to unlock with the email and password that you used to register into the website. If you think your credentials are correct, please reset your password under your Account Settings or using the Login window after Login out. If the problem persists, please contact us.